- Who can qualify?
- Who can be an applicant?
- How do I apply?
- Application Assistance - Get Help Applying
- What documents must I send when applying for PCIP?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Tell Us How You Heard About PCIP
This program is administered
by the Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board (MRMIB).
PCIP Not Accepting New Enrollments for Applications Received After March 2, 2013
Following federal direction, received on February 15, 2013 California PCIP will suspend new enrollments for applications received after March 2, 2013.
- PCIP/MRMIP applications received on or before March 2, 2013, will be processed and enrolled if eligible for the program.
- Applications received after March 2, 2013, will be screened for eligibility for the Major Risk Medical Insurance Plan (MRMIP). MRMIP, the state high risk pool is still open for new enrollment and available for individuals with a pre-existing condition. The application is for both programs.
- PCIP/MRMIP applications received on or before March 2, 2013, that are missing information may still be eligible for enrollment in PCIP provided the applicant sends in the missing information timely.
- PCIP subscribers moving to California from another state, can still enroll in California PCIP. Read more
Current PCIP subscribers are not affected by this change. However, subscribers need to pay their monthly PCIP premiums by the due date and continue to meet all eligibility requirements. Members who are disenrolled cannot be re-enrolled.
PCIP helps uninsured individuals with pre-existing conditions get affordable health insurance. The program has a limited amount of funding from Congress. Based on national experience and trends since the program began, PCIP enrollees have serious and expensive illnesses with significant and immediate health care needs. This enrollment suspension will help ensure that funds are available for existing PCIP subscribers through 2013.
This program is administered by the Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board (MRMIB) as a contractor to the federal Department of Health and Human Services.